"...contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints."- Jude 1:3

Friday, June 21, 2013

Martin Luther: Heretic (movie)


Here's a link to the 1983 Luther movie with Jonathan Pryce as Luther
http://youtu.be/cuT-SDDdRVU

This movie is recommended by some of the associates of Dr. James White and the folks at AOmin.org. If I recall correctly, even Dr. White recommended it.

A DVD copy of the movie is also being given away for free by NiceneCouncil.com, but you have to pay for shipping and handling ($5.95 US, or  $12 International).



Here's a link to the 1953 Luther movie with Niall MacGinnis as Luther



The 2003 Luther movie with Joseph Fiennes as Luther is so recent most people will be able to rent the movie or borrow it from a local library.




I especially like the 1974 Luther movie with Stacey Keach as Luther. It portrays Luther warts and all. It realistically shows both the good and bad both in Luther and in what resulted from his reformation. As a former Roman Catholic myself I can testify to how Keach masterfully portrays how a Catholic can experience spiritual vertigo when he takes his faith seriously. Unfortunately this version with Keach isn't freely online. Though, some local libraries have it.

The text of the original play by John Osborne on which the movie was based can be accessed HERE

5 comments:

  1. I'm looking for a copy of the first "Martin Luther:Heretic" Movie. This movie was a response of the Catholic church to the 1953 movie. I have only seen one copy of it on VHS back in the mid-1990s. I also found one reference to the movie on the internet, but can't seem to find any copies of it anywhere.

    Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect you've done all of the following already. But here are my recommendations.

    The first thing I'd do is search for the movie on www.IMDB.com. Then search for it on www.worldcat.org to see if there's a copy in any library near where you live. Try checking out www.archive.org. Also, try to find out which group produced the movie and then see if the group still exists. If it does, it probably has a website or at least a phone number where you can do even more research.

    If this is a Catholic movie, then ask Catholics who might know facts about the movie. They may even be able to find a way for you to purchase a copy on VHS or DVD. Maybe there's a copy on VHS at amazon.com or ebay.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you're a Protestant, Catholic or something else, but FYI http://beggarsallreformation.blogspot.com/ is a great website that deals with the history of Martin Luther from a Protestant perspective. There's a lot of great stuff there correcting historical myths about Luther. As an Evangelical myself, I have great respect for Luther, nevertheless I admit he wasn't perfect. He had many flaws and made mistakes I wish he didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can also visit Catholic websites like Dave Armstrong's Biblical Evidence for Catholicism and post a question in one of the blogs. Dave, knowing all things Catholic, might know how you can purchase or view a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I downloaded it from YouTube - but I can 't find a better quality anywhere , I contacted the BBC and said that they won 't show it on iPlayer in the near future . Also when you go to the site NiceneCouncil.com then you find yourself on https://patriotdepot.com . I also wrote to them waiting for an answer !

    ReplyDelete